The rape charges against the duo,which was instituted by a Jaohnnesburg lady have been dismissed.
The National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson, Lumka Mahanjana, confirmed that a decision not to prosecute the duo was reached.
Mahanjana said: “With regards to DJ Fresh and Euphonik matter, the docket was indeed presented to the prosecutor. Upon perusal of all available evidence in the docket, a decision not to prosecute was taken.
“There are no prospects of successful prosecution on the available evidence because the evidence is insufficient.”
In a joint statement issued on Monday by the duo, they said that the rape case was declined for prosecution.
They stated: ” We are pleased to state that after considering all of the evidence collected while investigating the claims made against us, the Chief Prosecutor has dismissed the allegations on the basis of lack of merit.
“As we’ve said before, there are false allegations and we are deeply saddened that GBV, a serious crisis in South Africa, was weaponised in this manner. A huge thank you to all of our families, friends, supporters and to our legal team.”
Earlier in the hit of the case, Thato Sikwane aka DJ Fresh and Themba Nkosi aka Euphonik, were fired by their radio station 94.7 and their contract terminated.
DJ Fresh engagement on air on 94.7 was on the 15th January, while Euphonik was on the 10th January, 2021.
The CEO of Primedia Broadcasting, Geraint Crwys-Williams, had explained the decision taken by the company to terminate their contracts was in the best interest of the company and its stakeholders.
Now that the allegations against the duo has been dropped, it’s not clear if their contracts termination will be cancelled while they resume their normal duties with the radio station.